Monday, February 21, 2011

Skirts and Bog People

A few years ago I learned how to fit skirts.  The result at the time was that I had several skirts that fit me like, well, like they were made for me.  The unfortunate long-term result is that none of those skirts now fit my post-partum body.  This was getting slightly depressing, so I cut out a skirt today.



The fabric is from IKEA.  It's a bit stiff, but the print is just too much fun.



The pattern is from the book Sew Everything Workshop. It's a wrap skirt.  I think the fabric is too stiff to create an all-in-one waistband and ties.  I might look for some black bias tape to use instead.

And how does this fit into the sewing-without-zippers philosophy?  According to Elizabeth Wayland Barber in Women's Work: The First 20,000 Years wrap skirts are probably the oldest form of clothing there is, with a few examples dating back thousands of years. Think fashion for bog people!

No comments:

Post a Comment