Sunday, June 5, 2011

The boring inbetween bits.....


For a few weeks now, I’ve been spending odd moments here and there making these:



 But, you might be thinking, they’re boring, just uninteresting prints in shades of beige and brown.  One of the things I love about quilting is the relationship between the part and the whole.  When I look at these pieces, I agree with you.  They’re boring, not at all interesting, kind of blah. They are part though of a quilt with 25 brightly colored stars, like this one:


And this one:


Each star is different. The boring pieces are part of the sashing, the spaces between the stars.  All alone they are boring, but in the context of the whole they are going to hold together all those brightly colored stars and make them pop off the surface of the quilt. So, they might be boring, but they still have their role to play. There’s probably a metaphor about life here, but I’m essentially a quilter, not a writer, so I’m not going to try and put that into words.  I’ll just let the finished quilt do the talking.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely! I admire quilters. If I weren't a rug hooker, I'd probably be quilting. Or going blind trying.

    ReplyDelete