Monday, October 10, 2011

Italian Composed Salads

As much as I enjoy composed salads, I don't make them very often. For some reason I find it tedious to cook each ingredient separately. This week I got cranberry beans in my CSA share. Since I've never eaten them before, let alone cooked them, I went straight to my cookbooks. Verdura by Viana LaPlace is one of my favorites. LaPlace has multiple recipes for salads with borlotti beans, which are very similar to cranberry beans. This is my slight variation on one of her recipes:

Several potatoes, boiled and diced
Green beans, boiled and halved
Cranberry beans, boiled
Cherry tomatoes, halved
Parsley
Chives
Basil (I only had two leaves left)
Olive oil
Red wine vinegar
Salt
Pepper

I lightly tossed all the ingredients on a platter, which is much more impressive looking than a big bowl. I served it with sliced hard boiled eggs for some added protein. Very delicious and pretty, too.

1 comment:

  1. Looks beautiful! I will borrow your suggestion of elevating the presentation by serving on a platter--thanks!

    ReplyDelete