Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A Return to Normalcy - with two quick recipes

Twelve weeks and six days into my pregnancy, I'm slowly starting to feel normal again. So, when I picked up my late fall CSA share this afternoon, I was not only happy to see the abundance of vegetables, I also had the energy to cook some of them.

This week the share included:

Potatoes
Carrots
Parsnips
Turnips
Celeriac
Radishes
Kohlrabi
Onions
Leeks
Lettuce
Spinach
Apples

For dinner (along with some Italian bread) we had:

Eggs and Spinach

Spinach, washed with stems removed
Garlic, chopped
Eggs, 4 beaten with salt, pepper, and a splash of milk

Cook the spinach in a small saucepan. Saute the garlic in some olive oil in a small frying pan. Add the spinach. Pour the eggs on top. You can cook this fritata style letting the bottom brown and leaving the top runny, or you can mix the whole concotion until the eggs are cooked through. Serve with pecorino for grating.

Carrot, Apple, Kohlrabi Salad

Carrots, 4 medium
Kohlrabi, 3 small or one large
Apple

Grate the first two and chop the apple. Dress with mayo, mustard, salt, and pepper. The quantities really are personal. I tend to be light-handed with both mayo and mustard.


That's it. It's an easy, fresh dinner using local vegetables in December, and unlike many dinners that I have made in the past seven nausea-ridden weeks, I actually enjoyed every bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment