Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Spring Harvest and Summer Planting

We are quickly approaching the end of spring vegetables. With temperatures regularly in the 70s during the day, my arugula and tatsoi were starting to bolt (arugula has pretty little yellow blossoms), and the spinach and lettuce were looking sad and wilty. We finished the tatsoi over the weekend in a stir fry. Today I cut most of the arugula, all of the spinach, and the row of lettuce that was first seeded and sitting exposed to the sun. There is another row of lettuce behind the peas that I sowed later. We'll see if the shade from the peas keeps it fresh a little longer.

Tonight for dinner we are having pasta with arugula pesto and a caprese salad over greens. I might eat the spinach for lunch tomorrow with eggs from the farmers' market.

 

The timing of all this is working out quite well. This weekend we are getting eggplant and tomato plants. The tomatos will go in where the spinach and tatsoi were. The eggplants will go in where the lettuce and arugula were. The peas finally blossomed a few days ago. They will need a few weeks to set and mature fruit. I'll buy bean seeds this weekend, and hopefully after the peas are done I will find a moment to pull out the vines and stick some bean seeds in the ground.

At the same time, I am 38 weeks pregnant, which means I could find myself in the hospital having baby number two any day now. So we'll see how it goes.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment