Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Red Tractor and Il Trattore Rosso

For about a year now, I've been speaking to Alessia in Italian. I don't manage to do it everyday, but most days we read a few books or play a game or eat our lunch in Italian. She understands quite a few things and says a couple of words and phrase - sporco (dirty) and "non c'e' piu'" (there is no more) are some of her favorites.

Last weekend she received a present from our cousins in Italy, a book in Italian about the farm. Each page has a farm scene and the words in Italian for different objects. Looking at it together I realized that one two-page spread had all of the essential characters of one her other books The Red Tractor. It's a very simple book, and she mostly has it memorized. So I told her the story from the English language book in Italian while pointing to the key characters in the Italian language book. I used the same intonations and the word "splash" (because I don't now the word for that in Italian) as we use with the English language book. The first time I did it, she looked at me funny. I could see the wheels turning in her brain. So I did it a second and a third time. After the third time, she looked at me and said, "no." Then she went to her shelf and brought me The Red Tractor. Too funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment