Saturday, September 8, 2012

Two Under Two - the vacation episode

After much back and forth, we decided to go to Maine this year. Every year Adam's parents rent a cottage in mid-coast Maine near where they lived for about ten years when Adam was growing up. We had only joined them once in the previous five years, and the more we thought about it this summer, the more determined we were to go.

The biggest difficulty was getting there and back. Without traffic, it's a 3.5 hour drive. Olivia nurses every two hours, sometimes more, during the day. Alessia is better about car rides than she was a year ago, but not that much better. So we planned two bedtime runs. We were nervous, but it worked. Both girls were asleep within an hour of departure and slept (almost) the entire way. It was no fun for Adam driving in the dark, but there was virtually no traffic, and it was worth not having to stop.

Alessia had a grand time. We went to the beach twice. The water scared her, but she loved all that wonderful sand to dig in.


We had second breakfast in coffee shops, and lunch in restaurants most days. Alessia's diet is still fairly limited, so became very skilled at packing her lunches. We balanced trips to boring adult shops with trips to the toy store and the children's room of the local library. For the most part we had our adventures in the mornings and quiet afternoons at the cottage. With some books and toys for indoor play and a huge deck and back yard, even spending time at the cottage was fun and exciting, and Alessia got some serious time with her nana and papa.

Olivia also had a fine time. She nursed in coffee shops and restaurants, on the beach, in the library, in the parked car, and even on a bench on the main street of Rockland. At the cottage I mostly nursed her on a comfy little couch, with this view.
Nobody got enough sleep. Alessia didn't nap most days, and while she slept fairly well most nights, she is teething so that woke her up a couple of times. Olivia reverted to the newborn stage and nursed every two to three hours all night, every night we were there. So we are very glad we came home Friday night and have two days to sleep and put the house back in order.


No comments:

Post a Comment