Thursday, April 6, 2017

Clouds in My Head and Sun in My Cup

I know people who get seasonal affective disorder in December when the days get shorter and people who get it in late spring when the temperatures really start to warm up. I get it right about..... now. It has been cloudy and rainy for days and the clouds feel like they are in my brain and the rain feels like it is in my bones.

"My blood is Mediterranean," I rant at my husband this time of year. "I NEED the sun."

A few weeks ago I read Love Letter to the Earth by Thich Nhat Hanh. He writes of truly being present for a cup of tea. So a couple of days ago, head full of clouds and bones full of cold damp, I sat down with a cup of tea and I tried it. I looked at the tea and held the warm cup and smelled the steam and thought of all the people from the grocery store clerk to the truck driver to the line worker at the factory to the people who prepared and picked the tea leaves. I thought of the dirt that nourished the tea plants and the rain that washed them and gave them water to drink and the sun, oh the glorious sun that shone down on the plants and now came rising up out of my steaming cup of tea, and I smiled and I drank of the sun and the water and the earth and the efforts of all those people there in my cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment