Thursday, August 22, 2013

Peaches, Peaches, Everywhere Peaches

The peaches this year are fantastic. We've been eating them out of hand for a couple of weeks now. Olivia goes nuts upon seeing them. Before trying them Alessia declared that she didn't like them. The day that I explained peach was all we had for fruit she changed her mind. When I asked Adam if there was anything he wanted from the farmers' market today, he responded with one word.

So today, I bought five pounds. Four pounds are going in the freezer with honey and a touch of lemon juice. They will be perfect on my morning oatmeal. As I was peeling them I wondered if there was something to do with the peels besides compost them. I put them in a pitcher and poured a cup of red wine over them, sort of a thrifty housewife's version of peaches soaked in red wine.

That leaves a pound to eat fresh tomorrow. I also want to try a peach crumble. I found a recipe online for a gluten-free and dairy-free crumble topping. Luckily there is a farmers' market outside Adam's office. So we will have enough for the crumble and fresh eating this weekend.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment